Sunday

It's Time for a New Word

It’s time to retire the word “church” and come up with a suitable replacement.

A month or so ago, I delivered a children’s message in our worship service in which I gave everyone – kids and adults alike – a small piece of paper and pencil and gave the congregation a minute to draw the first thing that came to mind when I said the word “church.” All 300 people drew the same thing…a building with a pointy steeple on top.

It’s a sad state of affairs. The truth is that American Christians are no longer capable of distinguishing the New Testament concept of “ekklesia” – the Greek word for gathering – from the bricks, mortar, pews, and steeple of our church buildings. Just last week, I went to my presbytery’s New Church Development Team, the group responsible for supporting start-up churches. I approached them with an idea I have about starting a building-less Christian community. Not only did they not support my idea, but they couldn’t even conceive of a community of Christians not having its own building eventually. I pointed out that Jesus and his disciples never had nor needed a building. In fact, it wasn’t until Constantine made Christianity the official religion of his empire in the 4th century A.D. that there were any church buildings at all. The biblical writers were very clear about the fact that “God does not dwell in temples made by human hands.”

The House Church movement has produced active congregations who meet in each other’s homes, and I know of other vital “alternative” Christian communities who own no real estate. But those who rely on the overloaded, outmoded, building-centered word “church” will often miss the deeper truths of communities seeking to live according to the way of Jesus.

For now, I have begun referring to a “post-church age” which, I hope, will get the conversation going on finding us a new term. Suggestions are welcome on this blog, which is dedicated to thoughtful reflection about what the Church of tomorrow will look like.

1 comment:

MaryAnn Broussard said...

Hi Toby, resonating with what you said on your post here. Thank you for your contact and comments on my blog last week. Regarding offering you any further contacts in organic home church community, all the links on my blog under "Ekklesia" title are the best that I can offer to you right now. Milt Rodriguez from The Rebuilders came this weekend to the Colorado Springs area to offer insight, encouragement, and wisdom to a group of about 30 people that were interested in having organic home church life. From those people attending, 2 groups were formed based on where the people live. These groups will now go forth and start meeting together. If you would like to continue discussing this topic further please feel free to email me privately at mabsmailbox@earthlink.net. I don't want to type a "long story" here in your comments area.

Eloise Anna Jones

Eloise Anna Jones
A Reader at 8 months!

papa and Weezie

papa and Weezie
it doesn't get any better than this!